How Solar Benefits SocietY
- Solar energy is the absolute cleanest form of renewable energy currently known.
- Solar energy is reliable and secure due to the sun’s energy being completely free to use and is a constant source of energy.
- Solar power has little market fluctuation, fixed costs, and the price per kilowatt-hour has only gone down, which makes solar more affordable almost every day.
- Solar energy also helps mitigate electric utility costs for homeowners and businesses.
- Solar energy essentially pays for itself in a short period of time and would help offset these necessary costs in the future.
- The United States gets nearly 40% of oil by import, but transitioning towards solar energy would help reduce this number and create a more energy independent country
Benefits to the Consumer
The initial investment into solar can be quite pricey at this stage of the industry, but there are options available to mitigate costs.
- Many states offer incentive based programs for those who switch to solar power.
- Savings vary state to state, but nearly all states have incentives, federal tax credits, and rebates available.
- www.dsireusa.org is a database that shows the incentives offered state-by-state and allows the user to input their zip code to show a full list of incentives available in their area. This system is created and operated by the NC Clean Tech Center.
Map from www.yourchildlearns.com
At the end of 2015, Congress passed a $1.15 trillion federal spending bill that extended for five years the federal tax credits for solar and wind related industries.
- The tax credits amount to 30% for both commercial and residential solar projects.
- The project aims to boost the amount of solar panels being used in the U.S. by 50%.
- The project will oversee an increase to 72,000 megawatts of power for up to 12 million homes in the next three years.
This project met great opposition and its importance is shown in this video by SEIA:
The ITC (Solar Investment Tax Credits) were only made possible due to years of perseverance and a plan executed to perfection by Solar Energy Industries Association.
The Department of Energy recently approved an $18 million budget spread over six projects that will help create cost-effective solar technologies that use energy storage to power homes overnight. The project is aimed to create an affordable way to incorporate solar energy into the nation’s grid.
We offer up the following information to bring knowledge to the public to promote better living through solar energy. Through the spread of information, we hope to facilitate environmental change locally, nationally, and globally. We believe solar energy will create a sustainable future.
Did you know?
Solar Power produces zero greenhouse gas emissions and has the most abundant source of energy in the known universe.
The amount of solar energy absorbed by the Earth’s atmosphere, land and oceans each year is equivalent to 40,000 times the total energy consumption of the U.S.**
Approximately 75 million barrels of oil and 35 million tons of carbon dioxide are saved annually by solar energy users.*
The amount of sunlight that hits the Earth in one minute is enough to meet the world’s energy demands for an entire year.*
Solar Energy only accounts for less than 1% of the current share of energy consumption.*
Approximately 50% of all solar panels are produced in Japan compared to ten years ago where Japan accounted for less than 1% of all solar panels produced.**
China, now the world’s leader in PV manufacturing, had not installed any solar power until 2010. From 2010-2013, China installed approximately 18,000 megawatts in PV capacity. This puts them second to only Germany in total PV capacity in less than three years.***